- Visitor Centre
- What's On
- Managing Glencoe
- About Us
- About NTS
Icelandic Heritage Links
Here is information on our NEW LINKAGE with the Natural and Cultural Heritage of Iceland, in conjunction with SKALANES Nature and Cultural Heritage Centre, Seydisfjordur, Iceland. There has never been a better time to visit our natural and cultural heritage partners at SKALANES, Iceland, than in 2013.
Checkout what's on offer at the SKALANES website at www.skalanes.com
SKALANES Nature and Heritage Centre
The centre is located 14Kms east of Seydisfjordur in an area known as the Eastern Fjords (Austerlandii).
Communication links are excellent and Iceland is much nearer than you think. A 2 hour flight from Glasgow or Gatwick via ICELAND AIR www.icelandair.co.uk takes you to Reykjavik, then a 1 hour flight over the fantastic Vatnajokul Ice Cap to the regional Airport at Egilstaddir, thereafter a thrilling 2 hour drive in an "Icelandic Adapted" 4x4 takes you to Skalanes.
Or if you want more leisurely transportation checkout Smyril Line at www.smyril.ferries.org via The Faroes and then direct to Seydisfjordur.
Skalanes : The Ideal Field Study Centre in Iceland for Nature and Cultural Heritage.
1. Operated by Committed English speaking Degree Qualified Icelandic Environmentalists.
2. Accommodation on a DBB + Packed Luncheon basis.
3. The Nature and Cultural Heritage of Iceland explored and experienced in the Pristine environment of the Eastern Fjords. Fully guided and supported Tours of the local habitats and landscapes from Fjord side to Mountain Top.
4. Weather?? In June 2012 it was non-stop sunshine with daily temperatures of between 16 and 18 degrees C. Minimum temperature 4C. YES take Sunscreen a Hat and Sunglasses!!
5. Rainfall is only 300mm per year. Here in Glencoe it can be 3000mm per year!!
6. Highly suitable for, Nature Study Groups, Students, Post graduate and PhD Students who wish to undertake research, Geologists, Archaeologists, Botanists, Marine Biologists, Ornithologists, Birdwatchers and All others who wish to experience the Unique, Unspoilt Natural and Cultural Heritage Environment of Eastern Iceland .
Be prepared to be immersed in the "Skalanes Natural Environment". Birdlife is prolific with colonies of Arctic Terns, Puffins, Eider Ducks and many other species within close proximity of the Centre.
Remarkably, due to low human impacts on these colonies it is possible to view and study these species at very close range.
"A Truely Wonderful Skalanes Experience".
Your Contact at Skalanes is:
Olifur orn Petersson BSc, Geographer and Fully Qualified Guide.
(c) P.Morgan. NTS Glencoe 2012.